Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Boneheaded


While feeding the dog this month, I noticed that some of the pellets of the "Pedigree's Adult Dog Food" were crafted in the shape of bones. On first sight all seems very logical - dogs are known to love their bones hence shaping food in that shape should increase its appeal to the dogs. Except that the pellets are tiny (less than an inch in length) and my dog doesn't seem to appreciate the aesthetics of its meal - it just gobbles.



Realization dawns that the shape of the pellet is designed to appeal to the human customer and not necessarily to the canine consumer. The dogfood people do their jobs: massage our egos to get to our wallets. And I have come to appreciate the crucial role product design plays in the the overall marketing strategy.

Update: 1st Feb - Article on Steve Job and Apple's approach to Product Design:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/31/weekinreview/31lohr.html


2 comments:

shruthi said...

I Have to agree with you... I get more excited than my dog does when I go to a pet store and see all those fluffy winter jackets, booties and yes dog food... I hardly doubt my dog cares what it wares or even if it doesn't have shoes and I'm most definitely sure it doesn't care how it's food is shaped

Its a cute topic...and interesting way of seeing it....

in response to your comment on my blog... Im sorry to inform you that at this stage we are still a very small team of nine people in the b+ve magazine + the tabloid. this includes 2 writers one being me. we each head one and we have inputs from Apollo's doctors who are kind enough to give us articles as we are not with Apollo hospitals but come under Apollo wellness, a different branch belonging to the same family.

we also have tie ups with an agency that provides us with articles. how ever, as I have checked your blog and I am quiet impressed with what you have done with it. If ever a job opportunity opens up Ill keep you in mind. I know how disappointing mails like this can be ... believe me I'v gotten my fare share. but keep up the will to write... you're good at it!!

tc
shruthi

DuffuTalks said...

Awesome
dude gets a prospective job offer with his verbose
unique take on marketing