Thursday, August 9, 2012

But it is only Rs.100!

Selling insurance is a strange proposition. In a month, I have sold around 600 accident insurance policies. I have a standard pitch that rolls out like a tape. And then there is a more persuasive/ aggressive pitch. If the prospective customer is still not convinced, then I usually say something like "...if Rs.100 is too high for annual accident insurance cover for you, then put your faith in God!"

 Like everyday, I had yet another customer walk-in asking about the 'four lakh insurance'. Once the customer is willing, its a short routine for me. I make a mental calculation of their age, since the policy only applies to people between the ages of 18 and 65 years. Then I am required to ask the line of work the client is engaged in, since police and armed forces are excluded.

So once again I do my usual assessing and ask this particular forty-something thin bearded individual the same "what do you do?" question.

He replies "I am a pastor."

I start to smirk and asked where his church was. He answered.

In about five minutes he was insured against accidental death, permanent total disablement and permanent partial disablement and temporary total disablement. I handed his policy to him.

Before he got up to leave, I couldn't help myself so I told him that I sometimes promote this insurance policy by comparing it favorably against faith in God and that in his case I couldn't do that.

In an unflustered manner, he said "But it is only Rs.100!"

I quickly added "..and it has been extremely popular with the customers..."


Link:
http://www.sbigeneral.in

No comments: